~Jane~, our newly appointed Sous Chef took 3rd place in our 2008 Memorial Day Recipe Contest. Spinach and asparagus are high in vitamins A and C plus spinach is high in fiber. Nutrition and good taste can't be beat! Makes six servings.
Ingredients - Dressing:
1/2 cup balsamic or tarragon vinegar: *see Note
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons Splenda
1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
1) In a medium sized bowl pour in vinegar of your choice.
2) Add yogurt, whisk until well blended.
3) Add Splenda (or other sweetener), continue to whisk.
4) Sprinkle in black pepper.
5) Let the dressing sit while you do the fruit and vegetable chopping.
1) Wash baby spinach, spin dry, set aside.
2) Wash fresh strawberries, let dry. Remove tops, slice into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices, set aside. *Never remove strawberry tops before washing as it makesthem too watery if you wash after tops are removed.
3) Carefully wash asparagus, be attentive to the blossom ends so you don't rough them up too much. Cut or snap off about 1" of each asparagus stalk, discard. Cut the blossom end off and keep whole, (about one inch slices) set aside. Slice the rest of the stalks into ¼" to ½" rings, set aside to let dry.
4) Clean skin off onion and slice into ¼ inch thick rings, slice the largest rings to about 1 inch lengths, set aside.
Place all of salad ingredients in large presentation bowl. Gently toss.
Store tossed salad in refrigerator until just before presentation time.
Either serve dressing on the side or mix it in before presenting. Don't saturate the salad, as a little goes a long way!
Per Serving : 66 Calories; 1g Fat (6.6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 41mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit.
Serving Ideas : To make this a whole meal, add some diced cooked chicken breast.
For "pretty" presentation and added protein, throw some sliced slivered almonds in! This can be served on plates by putting spinach on first and layering the rest of the ingredients on top. Definitely serve the dressing on the side in this case!
*NOTES : White vinegar mixed with a few teaspoons of sugar free fruit jelly (strawberry or raspberry) will make a nice strawberry or raspberry vinaigrette if you don't have balsamic or tarragon. Follow the rest of the dressing recipe as directed.